Thursday, January 10, 2013

Junk You Missed

Oh, no! So much has happened in one tiny month that I've gotten seriously behind on my life. So, highlights:

Family Move
After 20+ years, my family has finally decided to move to a new house. Of course, they picked two days after Christmas to get the keys to the house which meant my entire "holidays" were spent packing up and huffing as I try to carry things a lady should never be expected to carry. We are officially Plano residents. Of course, my plan was to stay no more than a year with my parents after moving home, so now I'll be major moving once more this year. Sigh. (This also means I've packed up my room and moved myself seven times and will be going for eight in just four years.)

Henery Press
I'm loving this internship! I've read some great (and some not-so-great) manuscripts of hopeful writers. Have I ranted yet about my love of potential? God, I love creative potential. I've got my first contracted book to redline! So excited and can't wait to talk to the author. How amazing is it to have instant access to fab authors? More and more responsibility is coming the intern's way and I'm trying to tackle it with a stress-free smile. Also, I'm slowly making my way through the current published books and have yet to be unsatisfied. Which is perfect for a publishing company I hope to work at.

(Here's a snippet of my organized chaos. Can you imagine the lists I have to boggle my brain right now?)


Required Menial Jobs
 I started at Starbucks just before November ended and finally feel like I have a grasp on all the drinks. I also feel more accomplished as a literary soul knowing the difference between a cappuccino, a latte, and an americano. And I can make them all. BOOM. Although some people are very particular about the amount of foam in their soy latte, for the most part it is quite fun to work at. And have I mentioned I love coffee? I love coffee.
Also, I started working for my brother's girlfriend's mom's company. I had an opening in my schedule and now help out when needed taking care of military recruiter's offices. It's tough work and this will be the only time in my life I do this kind of work. (Is that snobbish?) Part of me accepting this job was the pay, but I'll admit a small part of me accepted this job because of my dad always preaching about the jobs he had to work out of college. He dug graves. Built houses. Cleaned classrooms. Now I can say I vacuumed and emptied the trash for the Navy, Air Force, Army, and Marines. I'll just say the scenery's not half-bad either.

Writing Projects
First, let me say that with everything going on, I have not written since November. I was dying. Finally, tonight I got a bit of relief. After checking out the mess NaNoWriMo left with me I've decided I needed to scrap a lot of that and will start to move forward with a new direction. Definitely thriller/horror. And I know the "twist".
And, I think because of what I've been reading lately, I've been struck with the sassy mystery bug.Remy Harkin was born and has been smarting off in my head for close to a month. I love her and I can't wait to see where her life takes her. Tonight I wrote the first chapter and it's a nice balance between the humor I wrote in my teens and the dark horror I've been writing lately. Basically, I leave it at I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment